Telescope Lending Policy
- 1. IMPORTANT NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN WITH THE TELESCOPE; DOING THIS CAN BLIND THE USER. THE LIBRARY IS NOT RESONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES A PATRON INFLICTS UPON ONESELF OR THE TELESCOPE.
- 2. The telescope may be checked out by anyone who qualifies for borrowing privileges at Brownell Library who is 18 years of age or older, has been a library cardholder for at least six months and is in good standing. Patron must present a picture ID and current proof of address (e.g. driver’s license, utility bill, etc.) before checking out the telescope.
- 3. The patron will sign a Telescope Borrowing Agreement each time they check out the telescope.
- 4. The telescope will circulate for up to 7 days and must be handed directly to a staff member when returned.
- 5. Return all parts of the device and the books included when you bring the telescope back to the library. Patrons will be charged for missing items.
- 6. The telescope can be renewed for one additional 7 day period if no other patron is waiting to borrow it.
- 7. The telescope can be placed on hold for a patron if it is already checked out.
- 8. If the telescope is not returned within 2 weeks of its due date, the patron will be charged $350 for replacement costs.
- 9. If the telescope is damaged, a fee will be determined by the library based on the cost of repairing the telescope, and will be charged to the patron.
- 10. The patron is not permitted to lend the telescope to anyone while the telescope is in his/her possession. The telescope is the patron’s responsibility during the time it is signed out in their name.
- 11. Children must be supervised while using the telescope.
- 12. Please carry the telescope as demonstrated by a staff member when traveling to and from any destination.
- 13. Please treat the telescope with care, keeping it in a clean, dry, dust-free place and safe from liquids, extreme temperatures, and from being dropped. All covers should be kept attached to the telescope at all times. Do not attempt to clean the telescope with any chemicals or liquid or store the telescope outdoors. Keep the dust caps on the front of the telescope and on the focuser when not in use. Make sure to turn off the range finder when not using it.
- 14. Have fun with the telescope and feel free to call the library with any questions!
- 15. Any situation not covered by this policy will be reviewed and acted upon by the Board of Trustees in its sole discretion.
This policy was approved by the Board of Trustees of the Brownell Library, February 18, 2020.