A Brief History of the Brownell Library
The first public library in Essex Junction was established in 1897.
In 1913, the library moved to the space now known as Lincoln Hall. During the 1920's local businessman Samuel Brownell financed and helped design a new building for the library.
The new community library opened in 1926 with the name The Brownell Library. The Lion's Club refurbished the basement for a Youth Library in the early 1960s and the Village provided an addition to the main building in 1970.
The Friends of the Brownell library was established in 1967 to support library services.
Thanks to Essex Junction taxpayers and large grants from the Freeman Foundation and the Kolvoord family, major renovations to the library were completed in 2001. A community room was added and space to house the library's collection of materials was expanded. The video, “It's a Wonderful Library” details the history of Brownell Library up to the 1997 centennial.
Currently, Brownell Library features an up-to-date and diverse collection of materials. The library serves the residents of Essex Junction and extends service to communities in and around Chittenden County through the HomeCard network.